Saturday, February 6, 2010

Double Digits?

Okay, so I should've started this blog a LONG time ago. So, I've been training for the Nashville Music Marathon on April 24, 2010. In December I could maybe run a mile straight...I was faster though, maybe an 8 minute mile or so, but then I'd walk for a few blocks & then run some more. I started my training for the marathon on January 4. It is now February 6. The super bowl is tomorrow, I think I'm going to root for the Colts, because I found out today Austin Collie plays for them. ANYWAYS, 2 weeks ago, on my day 3 of the week I had 3 miles on my training plate, I told myself to turn down the pace & see how far I can run, I ran the whole 3 miles straight...I was extatic to say the least! My Day 4 training that week was 8 miles. I was feeling pumped for it coming off of my straight 3 miles, wanting to test my new theory on my 8 mile run! Friday after work I came home, laced up my running shoes, dressed in my spandex and a tee shirt. Got the Ipod clipped onto my waist and took off. I ran the whole 8 miles! I walked maybe 3 blocks total...it was amazing, pace makes all the difference! I wasn't out of breath at any point in the run, my legs just started getting exhausted. This week my Day 1-3 miler was okay, so for my Day 2-5 miler I calmed down and ran it straight! I was gross and sweaty after, but I did it! I was SO pumped. Day 3-3 miler, again, it was okay, tried to go too fast. Friday I was dreading the 10-miler. I was totally overwhelmed by the double digit mileage. It was cold and cloudy/snowy/rainy outside. I wasn't looking forward to the run. I got off work at 12 and finally made it out the door for my run at 2. I ran the whole thing, except for a few blocks, though by the end, it could hardly be referred to as a run. It was more like a fast crawl :). I did it though! My hips were crying at the end and my legs felt like they'd been steam-rolled twice, but ladies and gents, I finished! I was SO excited! I am going to do this marathon!
I am a Marathoner!
I decided that I am going to dedicate each mile to someone different and race day, these peoples names are going to be written on my arm in sharpie so I can remember who they are. I can't wait. I am so excited to cross that finish line.
This whole experience has been the most emotional experience. The greatest of my life. 6 months ago, I started running, but was not good at it. I was still intimidated by runners because I didn't feel like I qualified as one because I have curves, I have squishy spots on my body, and I am slow. I decided in November that I am going to train for the Nashville Marathon. I was so nervous and sick about it, but felt SO empowered. For once in my life, I believed in myself physically and mentally enough to pursue this. I have a big fear of saying things out loud, because it concretes them for me. The fact that I said it out loud, and to other people, was a feat in itself. I continued running 3-5 times a week, sometimes more than others in November. I bought under armor to stay warm while running in Utah's miserably cold weather. January 4 I started my training program and wanted to die. I didn't think there was any way I would be able to do this marathon. I wrote all my running days down in my planner next to my homework assignments. I wanted to throw up as I wrote down mileage numbers as large as 14 and 18!!?? What? How am I going to run that?
Folks, I would have never guessed I'd've run 10 miles either. It took me about 2 hours to do. I don't care about my time, though, my goal for this marathon=finish. I am so pumped for it.
I overcame a lot to get to this point, and I know the rest of the training won't be a picnic, but I am going to do this!
I have possible candidates for mile dedications=
(in no particular ordered, just numbered for the purpose of counting)
1. Carrie
2. David
3. Pat Wood
4. Mom
5. Dad
6. Great-Grandmother
7. Grandmother
8. Weston
9. Kristi Cutler
This Week's Mileage: 21 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment